Crannog arrived at School Field to take on Costcutter League Division One leaders and reigning champions St Dogmaels not having been beaten since going down against the Teifi Estuary villagers back in November.

With a record of six wins and a draw it was hardly surprising there was a feeling in some circles that the Llangrannog men could continue on the straight and narrow and avenge that defeat of three months ago.

But Saints showed why they are breezing along at the head of affairs by producing a slick and confident performance in springing a 6-3 win and drawing nine points clear of second in the table Cardigan Town.

Their neighbours, whose J Emrys Morgan Cup quarter-final tie against Dewi Stars at Llanddewi Brefi was postponed for a second time, have three games in hand on their neighbours, but Jason Williams and Co have points in the bag and with Town again in cup action could extend their advantage to 12 points at Llandysul on Saturday.

Although it was essentially another fine team performance that won the day Rhys Jones stole the limelight with four goals.

Many followers in the south Ceredigion area believe the classy 22-year-old midfielder, who leads the Costcutter scoring charts with 30 goals, could air his skills at a higher level, and there is some surprise that bigger fish have not shown an interest.

After netting his first four-timer and asked if he thought he could do the business at a higher level, the hugely popular Jones said: “I don’t know about that. All I can say is that I enjoy playing for St Dogmaels and the company of my mates.”

Crannog were presented with an early lead when Peter Almond had the misfortune to slice the ball into his own goal.

Saints squared matters before the break when Jones got on the end of a Louis Harding cross and netted clinically.

Jones volleyed his side ahead soon after the break and gave the homesters breathing space with a penalty awarded for a rash challenge.

Jack Taylor gave the visitors hope by halving the deficit but Jones with a delicate chip regained his sides three goal advantage before Harding cut inside and picked his spot for the sixth Saints goal and a late Gary Davies strike for Crannog was no more than academical.

New Quay took another step towards the Division Two Championship with a 9-2 hammering of St Dogmaels Reserves at Parc Arthur.

Ollie Edwards led the rout with a well-taken hat-trick, Jack Chetwynd and Dylan Morgan bagged a brace apiece and the other marksmen were Charlie Dent and Glen Baldwin.

Casey Walters and Cameron Christy netted for the visitors.

League newcomers Crymych’s hopes of overtaking the Seasiders were dealt a blow when held to a 3-3 draw against lowly Bargod Rangers at Parc Puw where Jack Fisher, George Hicks and Tom Rogers hit the target for Rangers.

Lampeter Town’s interest in the J Emrys Morgan Cup ended when going down to a 3-1 away defeat at the hands of Cambrian Tyres Aberystwyth League Division One leaders Tregaron Turfs.

In their previous outing Turfs were dumped out of Cwpan Coffa Dai Dynamo Davies by visitors Cardigan Town but bounced back with an improved performance as they deservedly earned the passage.

The homesters went ahead after 18 minutes when 16-year-old striker Daniel Owen found the net but the visitors were back on level terms within ten minutes through wingback Liam Jones who beat Mat Toy from the edge of the penalty area.

As Turfs asserted control former Aberystwyth Town striker Clydan Davies hit his 35th goal of the term to regain the home lead and with 15 minutes remaining midfielder and man-of-the-match Rhun Gardner left three would-be tacklers in his wake before netting with aplomb.