SB Williams Inter League: Pembrokeshire League 1–2 Carmarthenshire League

Cameron Davies came off the bench to score the winner as the Carmarthenshire League sealed a late 2-1 win over the Pembrokeshire League at the Bridge Meadow last night.

The hosts had dominated the first half to lead through Justin Harding’s goal, but after Rhys Griffiths had levelled matters in the second half, Davies scrambled in from close range after Martin Langdon had failed to hold another Griffiths shot.

The result would have left Pembrokeshire ruing a wasteful first half as they attacked at will and yet failed to convert a host of chances.

Pembs pour forward early on:

Like last season, Chris O’Sullivan and Nigel Delaney set up their side to attack and at times early on the hosts seemed to be playing a 4-2-4 formation as their forward quartet of Adam John, Justin Harding, Ben Steele and Scott Ferney wreaked havoc.

They went close when John jinked past two players on the left and crossed for Steele to volley against the bar, while Matty Delaney fired a half volley just over.

But midfielders Luke Hayward and Delaney continued to link well with their front men and on the 13 minute mark, it was latter who linked with Steele before threading a pass through for Harding to score with a low angled shot.

Further openings came as right back Leon Luby, who with fellow full back Camron Thomas caused ample problems in the first half, saw his cross diverted over his own bar by Chris Bowen - and Delaney and Steele teed up Harding who had his 20 yard drive palmed away by keeper Nathan Brown.

John continued to shine as away right back Dominic Saunders was yellow carded for hacking him down, and the winger then dribbled into the area before having his left foot shot saved at point blank range by Brown.

The latter continued to defy Pembrokeshire by tipping away Steele’s low shot before Ferney beat two defenders in the area but ran out of room as he bore down on goal and could only find the side netting.

Another Luby cross fell to Steele who could only fire straight at Brown – but at least at the other end Pembrokeshire seemed comfortable with the visitors restricted to long range efforts from Griffiths and Lewis James, both of which sailed narrowly off target.

Carmarthenshire come back:

But the one way traffic wasn’t to last. Steele went close with a free kick early in the second half but within five minutes of the re-start the scores were level when Griffiths pounced on some sloppy play to pick up the loose ball, drive into the area, and place a shot past the onrushing Langdon.

The home side tried to respond as John volleyed a Luby cross straight at Brown before Ferney’s cross was headed wide from six yards by Scott Delaney.

Carmarthenshire were beginning to find more joy in attack though and Wilson had an angled effort palmed away by Langdon before later having a long rage effort smothered by the keeper.

In the closing stages the game became open at both ends, and Delaney stung the palms of Brown from 25 yards while Ferney headed over, but Pembrokeshire were indebted to a close range block from centre back Jordan Thomas to deny Alex Thomas.

Davies wins it at the death:

In the closing minutes though, the pace slowed down as both sides tired, and we seemed to be heading for a point apiece.

But it was then that Carmarthenshire completed a smash and grab. Griffiths cut onto his left foot in the box and his scuffed shot bounced awkwardly in front of Langdon, who spilt the ball into path of Davies who scored from six yards.

It sealed a win that had at one stage looked unlikely for the away side, although they deserve for credit for coming back into it second half and leaving Pembrokeshire to regret failing to be clinical when the chances came their way early doors.

Pembrokeshire: Martin Langdon, Leon Luby, Jordan Thomas (Jake Seaton 82), Scott Delaney (Jay Power 82), Camron Thomas, Matthew Delaney (Jordan Richards 75), Luke Hayward, Adam John (Adam Hawkins 77), Ben Steele, Scott Ferney (Lee Hudgell 86), Justin Harding.

Carmarthenshire: Nathan Brown, Dominic Saunders, Chris Bowen, Ceri Evans, Lewis James (Leon Goddard 63), Rhys Griffiths, Ross Jones, Jonathan Fagan, Alex Thomas, Sam Wilson (Cameron Davies 75), Tom Lavender. Subs: Tian Foster, Leon Goddard, Ashley Lewis.

Referee: David Morgan.

Assistants: Steve Jones and Martin Oliver.