West Wales Intermediate Cup quarter finals: Goodwick United 2-0 Giants Grave

Goodwick United grabbed a goal in each half to dispose of nine-man Giants Grave and secure a place in the semi final of the West Wales Cup.

Only 48 hours earlier Goodwick had beaten Merlins Bridge 3-2 to reach the Senior Cup final, so it was an extremely successful 48 hours for the Phoenix Boys.

Conditions were windy and tricky at Phoenix Park, the hosts unsettled the Neath Premier outfit when they scored in the 20th minute.

Vastly experienced midfielder Chris O’Sullivan’s curling corner flew directly into the back of the net. 

The hosts held onto a slender 1-0 lead at the break. Things became a little bit heated in the second half as Goodwick’s Llyr Tobin and a Giants Grave player were both sent off.

Before the pair received their marching orders Goodwick added a crucial second goal. Johnny Horgan’s corner was met with a far post header by Scott Delaney across the face of goal, Kieran O’Brien reacted quickest to tuck the ball into the net.

That really set the tone for Goodwick as the visitors lost their rag and had another player sent off, Wayne O’Sullivan’s kept their cool for the remainder and were delighted to reach the last four of the competition they last won in 2018.

“I’m delighted we came through this tough tie,” said manager Wayne O’Sullivan. “They had beaten Carew and Monkton in the earlier rounds, so we knew we had to be at our best to beat them.

“It’s been a massive couple of days for us beating The Bridge to reach the Senior Cup Final and now we’ve beaten Giants Grave to go in the hat for the West Wales Cup semi-finals.”

Goowick have since learnt they will play Trostre Sports in the semi final at the Bridge Meadow on Wednesday, March 25, 7.45pm kick off.

Goodwick United: James Gwilt, Steff Hayes, Scott Delaney, James Bryan, Llyr Tobin, Chris O’Sullivan, Matty Delaney, Jordan Griffiths, Kieran O’Brien, Steff Williams, Rhys Dalling. Subs: Johnny Horgan, Ben Adams, Jake Smith, Sion O’Sullivan, Wayne O’Sullivan.